Welcome to the Digital Resources for Aequora!
Aequora offers the opportunity to introduce the ancient Roman world and Latin language to elementary and middle school students. Interactive lessons and scripted plans make the Aequora curriculum fun, engaging, and simple to use.
Through Aequora, we teach the basics of Latin grammar and vocabulary in such a way that Latin provides students with the tools to improve their mastery of English and Spanish (and other languages!), but an equally crucial goal of the curriculum is to expose students to Roman culture and inspire their curiosity for the ancient world at large. Aequora can be used by teachers of all backgrounds regardless of their previous experience with Latin.
Aequora Online provides audio-visual resources, slides, and videos to accompany 34 core lessons, so you can implement at your own pace – once a week, daily, or whatever best fits your students’ needs.
What’s in this course?
- 11 units, 3 lessons per unit
- Slides for every lesson, videos covering mythological, cultural, and historical content, and mini-quizzes for every content-rich lesson
- A private discussion forum for your class
- Course customization abilities provide flexibility in assigning lessons, as well as rearranging or adding content to slides.
- Support from Paideia Staff
Upon completion of the curriculum, students will be able to:
• Recall basic Latin phrases and a vocabulary of 100+ Latin words.
• Identify the parts of speech in a Latin or English sentence.
• Critically discuss aspects of Roman culture and its influence on the present.
• Recognize major characters and narratives from classical mythology and analyze its influence on contemporary literature and popular culture.
• Correctly determine the meanings of English and Spanish words by using knowledge of Latin roots and affixes.
The Aequora Curriculum
The Aequora textbook includes eleven units, and each unit is composed of three main sections:
- A grammar lesson focusing on a Latin part of speech (accompanied by a vocabulary chart)
- A culture lesson centered on a key element of ancient Roman history or society
- A mythology lesson based on a narrative that allows you to place the vocabulary you learn into the appropriate context
Aequora is also a FREE Latin and Literacy program designed to inspire future classicists and future classics teachers.